Equality Matters Picks Of The Week, August 22-26, 2011
August 26, 2011 5:18 pm ET by Equality Matters staff
Equality Matters staff offers our picks for the most interesting, outrageous, or thought provoking stories of the week:
- Fox News Thrice Promotes Bogus Link Between Homosexuality And Pedophilia. For the third time in less than a month, Fox News provided a national platform to anti-gay zealots looking to link homosexuality to pedophilia. One Fox article even quoted Dr. Judith Reisman, who has claimed that gay men attempt to recruit and molest young boys, resulting in the spread of AIDS.
- House DOMA Lawyers Misconstrued, Distorted Research. The lawyers defending the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) distorted and misconstrued research which they claimed demonstrated sexual orientation is a choice, according to the author of that research. In an affidavit submitted Monday, Prof. Lisa Diamond slammed the lawyers defending DOMA, writing “they have completely misrepresented my research.”
- NOM Ally Claims Gay Marriage Caused The Earthquake. In the wake of 5.8-magnitude earthquake that rocked the East Coast on Tuesday, New York Rabbie Yehuda Levin posted a YouTube video claiming that the quake was punishment from God for New York’s recent decision to embrace marriage equality. Levin was a close partner to the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) in the month’s leading up to New York’s final vote on the marriage equality bill.
- Report Finds That Bisexual Men Do Exist. Researchers at Northwestern University released a report this week which found that men who identity as bisexual are actually aroused by both men and women. The report contradicts a 2005 Northwestern study, which reportedly found no evidence of the existence of bisexuality.
- NOM’s History Of Circumventing State Campaign Finance Laws. NOM Exposed released a memo Wednesday document NOM’s long history of circumventing and ignoring state campaign laws requiring groups to disclose their financial donors. Despite facing numerous legal defeats in state courts, NOM continues to refuse to comply with state laws.
- Gov. Rick Perry Falling Down The Anti-Gay Rabbit Hole. Texas Governor and GOP presidential candidate Rick Perry is solidifying his anti-LGBT credentials among social conservatives. In his 2008 book, ‘On My Honor,’ Perry compared homosexuality to alcoholism and suggested that gays and lesbians abstain from sexual activity. On Friday, he joined Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN), Rick Santorum, and Mitt Romney by signing NOM’s anti-gay marriage pledge.