More NOM Hypocrisy: Boycott Starbucks, But Not Anti-Gay Companies!
March 22, 2012 10:25 am ET by Carlos Maza
On Wednesday, the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) launched its new “Dump Starbucks” campaign – an international boycott of the Starbucks Coffee Company over its support for marriage equality. According to NOM’s press release:
The new protest campaign was announced after the annual Starbucks shareholders meeting today in Seattle, where NOM spokesmen queried the board on its new policies promoting gay marriage and demanded protection against discrimination for employees, vendors and customers who disagree.
"We respect the important role of businesses in providing goods, services and jobs, and that people of diverse moral views build great companies working together," Brown said. "But Starbucks has corporately, as an organization, endorsed and helped pass gay marriage in the state of Washington. Its executive vice president of partner resources has stated that gay marriage "is aligned with Starbucks business practices and upholds our belief in the equal treatment of partners. It is core to who we are and what we value as a company." Corporations should not take sides in a culture war that pits a company against half the American people, and nearly all its consumers in some international markets."
NOM's decision to launch an international boycott against a pro-equality company is notable, given how frequently the group condemns gay activists for engaging in identical behavior, including:
- the “intolerable” boycott of anti-gay fast food giant Chick-fil-A
- threats to boycott Florida business over ties to anti-gay Rep. Allen West (R-FL)
- the “ricochet strategy” of boycotting New Balance over ties to Mitt Romney
- calls to boycott Blue Bunny ice cream over ties to anti-gay Bob Vander Plaats
- a supposed boycott of anti-gay NY town clerk Rose Marie Belforti’s artisan cheese farm
- pressuring law firm King & Spalding to stop defending the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA)
- a call to “boycott” offering services to anti-equality New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez
As usual, NOM demonstrates that the tactics of pro-equality activists are totally unacceptable until NOM wants to use them for its own purposes.